oldrailbird

Push a button...Pick a winner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Stockton, California, United States

Some call me OlRailbird.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Beat a Dead Horse

First, read this.

Santa Anita might be bankrupting me, but it is killing horses.

I'll tell you what I think -- I think synthetic racing surfaces have a narrow temperature band where they are viable. Maybe 65F-75F. European temperatures?

Above the band, the horses slosh around the track, seeking traction on rubber-coated ball bearings. Below the band the junk clumps into a minefield of chunks and stumbles.

No wonder the results seem random...the surface is so bad it equalizes the odds. The only thing worse than asking bettors to gamble on this surface is asking horses to run over it.

As I see it, we have three choices:

1. Regulate the sun.
2. Only race in May and October.
3. Return to real dirt.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steven G. Berry said...

#3 wins! SA is dirt, again!

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home